The scope of the project was the refurbishment of areas and elements of the two buildings and external landscape which comprise the Ballymena Court Complex. The original Courthouse building, which dates from 1846, is Grade B Listed, constructed largely of black basalt stone with giffnock sandstone dressings and details. The four storey 1970’s Administration building is a concrete frame construction with exposed aggregate cladding panels and a lead clad mansard roof covering.
Works on Courthouse building included: Works to eliminate entry of water into the listed building fabric through the roof covering / associated gutters / flashings and through open joints in the stonework; Re-pointing of stonework / replacement of sandstone as necessary; Works to replace the Listed Building electrical services installation and re-establish the Listed Building to acceptable condition both internally and externally to ensure its full and continued utilisation; Works to re-organise the layout of the ground floor front section of the Listed Building, including WC facilities with refurbishment and alterations to bring the building into compliance with current DDA and Building Control Regulations; New floor finishes, decoration and furniture fit-out. As the building is Grade B Listed, emphasis was on repair rather than replacement and the works were carried out to the requirements and satisfaction of NIEA.
Works on the Administration Building included: Alteration of internal sections of the building to provide revised WC facilities on each level; Improvement of vertical circulation by means of 2Nr passenger lifts to serve the four floors. One new lift shaft was constructed centrally within the building, requiring extensive temporary works. The other lift shaft was constructed as an external extension to the building; DDA & Building Control Regulation compliance works; New floor finishes, decoration and furniture fit-out.