RESTORATION OF McGAREL TOWN HALL
Works are now complete on the Extension & Restoration of McGarel Town Hall. The Grade B+ building is a High Victorian Gothic Town Hall with a tall four-storey clock tower, designed in 1868 by architect Alexander Tate and opened in 1870. The building has been fully refurbished and modernised in a sensitive manner to retain the historical characteristics of the Town Hall.
Works on the building included: A new 3 storey extension; Demolition of the existing annex; Extensive cleaning & refurbishment of stonework; Rebuilding of the Clock Tower; Refurbishment of the Clock Mechanism; Complete Mechanical, Electrical & Lift Installations; Oil & Gas Commissioning; Provision of a new external storage area; External paving, drainage and associated minor works.
The newly refurbished building accommodates Main and Minor Halls, the Magee Room, the Council office facilities and a new Public Reading Room & Library. The new three storey extension to the rear incorporates Meeting Rooms along with kitchen and toilet facilities. Provisions for persons with disabilities include level access entrances, two passenger lifts at either end of the building and numerous disabled toilet facilities throughout.